Tips for extending Laptop Battery Life
Purchase a laptop that has an extended battery life to get the most out it. To extend the Laptop battery life first thing you need to understand how batteries work. Battery life is an important consideration when using a laptop–the longer the battery lasts, the more work you can get done away from a power source.
Each battery has a limited number of charge cycles. If your battery lasts four hours and the first day you use it for 2 hours and then recharge it fully, and the next day you use it for 2 hours once fully charged and then you complete a charge cycle. Each battery has a limited number of charge cycles before losing, it can take the load begins.
1. Remove the battery and clean the metal contacts. Wipe them with alcohol, ideally every two months, to ensure that the power transfer between the laptop and its battery is as efficient as possible. Allow the battery to dry thoroughly before replacing the battery.
2. Don’t withhold on your battery. If you choose the lowest-cost battery you’ll probably get a battery that degrades quickly and you’ll end up buying a replacement .Don’t buy an expired battery. Look at the bottom of the battery and find the manufacture date.
3. Since the dust enters into the vents and clog the cooling fan. Clean your battery’s metal contacts every two months with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. This keeps the transfer of power from your battery more efficient.
4. Do not store your laptop in a place where the air temperature such as in direct sunlight, and never leave the battery in a hot place. And if your laptop heats up or is cold, let it return to room temperature before starting up.
5. Consider taking your battery out when using your laptop plugged into AC power. For lithium ion batteries, you do not need to discharge them fully and recharge constantly.
6. Don’t play computer games, music or DVD movies – Multimedia activities drain laptop batteries. Decrease or mute the Laptop Speaker Volume.
7. Adjust your screen brightness – Dimming your display saves battery power.
8. Discharging the battery regularly is also conducive to extended battery life. Under optimal conditions laptop batteries last 24 to 36 months in less optimal conditions can shorten the life of 12 to 18 months.
9. Turn off all scheduled tasks. Be sure to disable the alarm or warning
10. Check to see if your laptop has the optimum amount of RAM. Refreshing the RAM requires less power than spinning the hard drive, so having the correct amount of RAM means less drain on your laptop battery.
11. Turn your wireless local area network (WLAN) switch off if you don’t need a wireless connection — a button or LED on your laptop usually lights up to indicate wireless activities.
12. USB devices are the biggest drainers of battery power. Unplug all external devices like an external mouse, PC cards, Wi-Fi, external speakers, Bluetooth and even an attached iPod.
13. To maximize battery life by a little, switch off the screensaver.
14. Due to regular defragmentation helps to arrange data more efficiently thus making the hard drive work less to access the data. The quicker the moving hard drive works lesser is the load placed on the battery. Thus, your batter can last longer. The effect is minimal, but this efficiency goes hand in glove with hard drive maintenance.